When deciding where to obtain your new windows, it may be tempting to go to the store, buy them yourself and install them. But when you learn the risks involved in DIY window installation vs. the benefits of hiring a certified window contractor to fit and install your windows, it’s easy to see the best solution for your long-term needs.
Replacement windows are designed to maximize your home’s indoor comfort level, save you on utilities, prevent water intrusion, and boost curb appeal.
Read on to learn if you risk these benefits when you choose big-box store windows vs. custom windows.
Custom vs. Store-Bought Replacement Windows
Accurate fit vs. approximate fit
- Custom window replacement — Exact measurements of your current windows and wall openings are taken before a window contractor orders your custom window replacements. Why? Because when it comes to new windows, an accurate fit is vital. Without it, outdoor air can seep into your home, creating unwanted chilly drafts indoors each winter and mucky warm drafts each summer. Window leaks will cause your HVAC unit to work overtime, driving up your monthly utility bills and wearing out your unit faster.
Since custom windows are made to be the exact size you need, you get optimal energy efficiency for your home. You’ll save on utility bills, preserve your HVAC unit, and enjoy a comfortable home interior that is draft free. You’ll bypass dreaded repairs because you won’t experience moisture intrusion when you have perfectly fitting windows.
- Store-bought window replacement — Big-box store windows that you buy off the shelf locally offer an approximate fit and make your home vulnerable to costly problems throughout the lifetime of your windows.
An approximate fit dilutes the energy-efficient replacement windows that were designed to deliver. So even if you buy ENERGY STAR rated windows, you won’t receive their full benefit when they aren’t custom fitted to your wall space by an experienced team of professionals.
Water infiltration is your home’s enemy, and when you choose standard sizing vs. custom sizing, you’re putting your property at risk of moisture intrusion. Don’t learn this lesson the hard way. When water enters through ill-fitting windows, it creates damaging rot that usually goes unnoticed and worsens the longer it is unaddressed. Expensive structural damage to your home can result.
Reliable quality vs. uncertain quality
- Custom window replacement — Custom windows are made individually so the manufacturer has more control over the quality of each window. If a problem occurs during manufacturing, it can be spotted and fixed, ensuring each custom window is the best possible quality.
- Store-bought window replacement — Big-box store windows are mass-produced, so if a problem occurs during manufacturing, it may not be as easily remedied. As a result, their characteristics may vary, and their fit may not be quite right.
Multiple hardware options vs. limited hardware options
- Custom window replacement — When you get custom window replacement, you choose from a wide variety of exterior and interior colors, styles, and finishes. You can get the perfect complement to your home interior and an impeccable look for your exterior when you choose custom windows.
- Store-bought window replacement — There are limited interior and exterior styles, finishes, and colors when you buy replacement windows from a big-box store. Don’t settle for just any look when it comes to your new windows. Store-bought windows limit your options and your home’s overall aesthetics.
Premium Replacement Windows for Your Raleigh
At Kelly Window & Door, we offer only the finest replacement windows for your home. We install premium windows manufactured by industry leaders:
- Sunrise Windows — Get durable, attractive custom replacement windows, and select from nine exterior colors and ten interior finish options to achieve the perfect look for your home.
- Restorations Windows — Enjoy special design elements that mimic the classy style of wood windows with dozens of decorative options and features that deliver maximum energy efficiency.
Why It Is Essential to Choose a Local Certified Window Replacement Contractor
Windows are a vital part of your home’s insulation. When they wear out, you can lose hundreds of dollars yearly in high energy costs. That’s why it’s vital that you replace them in a timely fashion and make the best long-term decision on where to buy them for your needs.
When you replace your windows with a local certified window contractor, you’re creating a reliable relationship with a company you can trust. You get the benefit of all their years of experience rather than trying to do this alone. You can gain from consulting with them about your window selections.
If you run into any issues after installation, you can call the company, talk with a real person, and see how your warranty covers the needed issue.
In contrast, if you choose to buy your windows from a big-box store and you try to call for help, chances are you’ll get an automated phone response or have trouble getting to the bottom of the problem if you do get a person on the line.
Also, by hiring a local window contractor, you’re injecting money into your area’s economy. That’s always a good investment.
Transform Your Home with New Windows
Do you experience drafts near your windows? Are your utility bills surging? Do your windows look old and damaged? Are you ready to maximize the beauty of your home—inside and out? Then learn more about how replacement windows can transform your Raleigh home.
At Kelly Window & Door, our installation crews go through our Craftsmanship Program, educating them so they can serve you well. By hiring our team to install your windows, you can have peace of mind knowing they were fitted by a team you can trust. Look at our Vinyl Replacement Window Buying Guide to discover the difference new windows can make in your home.