First impressions last, so sprucing up your curb appeal will wow your family and friends, making them feel even more welcome in your home. And if you’re selling this winter, curb appeal boosts a home’s marketability which translates into a more profitable property sale.
Here are some tips on how to enhance your curb appeal this winter, whether you’re selling it or you just want to bring out its best for your gatherings.
Creative Ways to Elevate Your Curb Appeal This Winter
While holiday decorations boost your home’s looks, there are additional ways to make your home festive and inviting this winter.
Elevate your curb appeal with a new door
Winter is the perfect time to add warmth, energy efficiency, security, and beauty with a new front door. Add a pop of contrasting color to your door to make it stand out, and finish the look by adding the perfect wreath.
If you don’t need a replacement door, consider giving your current door a fresh coat of paint to create a crisp, inviting look.
Go with evergreen plants
Harsh North Carolina winters don’t lend themselves to winter blooms, but there are still ways to spruce up your porch and front yard. A small potted evergreen tree or two on your front porch can be the ideal solution to give your home a welcoming feel this winter. Decorate it with seasonal lights or bows, wrap its base in burlap, and you’ve got a cheerful welcome to friends and family all winter.
Holly bushes make an attractive landscaping element year-round, and their bright red berries give the perfect amount of festive décor with little to no effort on your part. Simply trim the bushes a few times a year (they grow quickly!), and you’re all set.
Complement your home with landscape lighting
When you add landscape lighting, your home will look more beautiful and security will be enhanced as well. A well-lit home and yard are less likely to be vandalized. Consider a combination of a variety of lighting options including:
- Path lights – Mark the path that leads to your front door by illuminating your walkway and adding to the ambiance of your front yard.
- Spotlights – These narrow light beams call attention to specific architectural or landscaping features and add visual interest to your home.
- Hanging lights – Perfect for above your front door or in your porch area, these lights add sophistication to your home.
- Wall-mounted outdoor lighting – Mounted on either side of your front door and either side of your garage door, these lights increase curb appeal and your home’s visibility from the street.
- Directional floodlights – Perfect for lighting up your driveway, floodlights illuminate a broad area and can include motion sensors.
- Lantern – Hang a lantern on a post near your entryway or set one on the steps to your home to add even more personality.
Replace your house numbers
Today’s house numbers really make a design statement and can give your home more character. So take down those dated numbers you are so used to seeing that you barely notice them anymore, and indulge in some modern house numbers that add to your home’s aesthetics.
Add an attractive bird feeder
A small bird feeder filled with seeds and nuts can bring colorful birds to your yard. Carefully placed, you can enjoy the birds from the warmth of your home interior while passersby appreciate seeing the refreshing contrast to a sometimes dreary winter sky. A bird bath can also enhance your front yard.
Update Your Home with a New Entry Door
Does your current entry door match your home’s style? Do you experience chilly drafts inside your home near your front door? If your home isn’t as comfortable as it should be, an energy-efficient upgrade is a smart investment.
Make the most of your home’s curb appeal, protect your biggest investment from the elements, and fortify your home’s security with a new door. At Kelly Window and Door, we guide you through the selection process so you get the best look for your North Carolina home, and we install your door with precision so you can enjoy its high performance over its lifetime.
Take time to dream a little. Check out our window and door gallery.