A faulty front door can not only cost you more in energy usage, but also compromise your security. Old, worn out doors can easily be kicked in, leaving you, your loved ones, and your possessions at risk.
Plus, whenever the aesthetics of your home start to suffer, it gets easier to no longer be satisfied with your home. The way your door looks can tie your entire home together.
A Front Door’s Function
Welcoming family, friends, and neighbors into your home begins when they approach your front door. Your home’s entrance extends hospitality to those you love most, and reflects your personality and sense of style. The professionals at Kelly Window and Door install entry doors that add eye-catching curb appeal, complement your home, and provide security that gives you peace of mind.
Signs It Is Time for a Replacement Front Door
While going through your home maintenance each season, take a look at your front door and the frame that surrounds it. Realize that a compromised door can breach safety and dim the overall look of your home exterior. Here are some things to look for that indicate it’s time for a new front door:
- Is your front door damaged or broken? A damaged front door limits the beauty of your home, and costs you in utility bills, year-round indoor comfort, and overall safety.
- Is the frame around your front door damaged? If there are cracks or damage in the frame that surrounds your front door, your safety is at risk.
- Does your front door or the frame around it show signs of water damage? Wooden doors and frames are particularly susceptible to water damage. Take a screwdriver and push on any areas of concern. If the wooden door or frame punctures, you likely have wood rot and a new door and/or frame are imminent. The longer you wait to address moisture damage, the worse it gets, and the more money and time consuming intervention you need to do when replacing it.
- Is it difficult to open or close your front door? For easy entrance to your home, your front door should open and close easily.
- Does your front door lock properly? The hardware on your front door should make it easy to lock it. If it’s difficult to lock, it’s likely time to look into upgrading not only your locking system, but also your front door.
- Is there condensation in the glass panes on your front door? Condensation indicates a leak in the window seal. If your front door’s glass shows signs of condensation, it’s time to look into investing in a new front door.
- Is your current front door showing signs of decay like dents, rust, cracks or holes in it? Faulty front doors need replacing to avoid burglary. A new steel door is affordable and can offer you peace of mind when it comes to safety.
- Have you asked a professional to inspect your front door, its lock and frame in the last year? If you have any uncertainty, call the pros and ask them to give you a free inspection and estimate. Put your mind at ease by contacting trusted door installation specialists so you can add their knowledge to the equation when making a decision about a new front door.
- Does your home exterior need updating? A new front door can bring style and color to make your home pop, giving it a welcoming glow and great curb appeal. A new steel or fiberglass door improves first impressions and increases resale value.
- Is your front door accessible to people with mobility issues? Universal design offers attractive elements that bring a welcoming entrance to people with mobility issues. Installing a larger door can make it easy for a wheelchair to fit comfortably through the door. Keyless locks or handles that are opened without turning can bring simplicity to your home’s entrance. A zero clearance threshold makes it easy for those with a walker, wheelchair, or stroller to execute your home’s entrance. Changing out your front steps for a ramp is another welcome addition when it comes to accessibility.
Benefits of Replacing Your Front Door
- Return on Investment (ROI)—For one of the highest returns on investment in home remodeling, a new front door brings you great return when it’s time to sell your home. Potential home buyers appreciate the beauty and security a quality front door offers.
- Beauty—Customize your new door with the perfect door size, door glass, paint or stain finish, hardware, and accessories.
- Durability—A new fiberglass or steel door won’t warp or rot like some cheap wooden doors do. And their paint is less likely to peel or chip.
- Added Security—A new door and a new lock system combine to create the ultimate home security for you and your loved ones. The lock systems of today’s front doors can use advanced technology to upgrade your security. Lock systems may add up to a code on a push pad or a more technical system that can be operated remotely with a smartphone.
- Energy Efficiency—Lower energy bills significantly with ENERGY STAR® certified doors that meet strict energy efficiency standards. Enjoy savings year-round with a tightly sealed front door.
Replacement Door Material Options
- Steel—This is the best type of entry door for security, durability, and energy efficiency. Steel doors are low maintenance, beautiful looking, and affordable.
- Fiberglass—The top replacement choice, a fiberglass door’s look mimics genuine wood, is extremely durable, resists dents and scratches, and protects your home from being robbed.
At Kelly Window and Door, we understand the frustration that comes with untrustworthy products and contractors. That’s why for almost 25 years we have provided homeowners in the greater Raleigh area with over 4,000 stress-free installations using window and door products we believe in.
It is a big deal for us that each and every one of our customers truly fall in love with their home again.
Professionals who install doors should be reliable, and the Kelly Window and Door team offer quality installation so products perform well. Check out our door gallery.