Want the feel of a home makeover without repainting your exterior? A quick coat of paint applied to your front door and shutters can create visual interest that sets your home apart (without breaking the bank!).
The trouble is, it can feel daunting trying to figure out which colors will look best on your entry door and shutters. With all the options available, how do you go about finding the perfect pair to maximize your home’s curb appeal?
Here are some easy wins when it comes to color choice!
Enhance Your Home’s Look with the Right Door and Shutter Colors
Ask yourself these three questions before heading out to choose your paint.
1. Should shutters match your entry door or complement it?
The color of your shutters can either match your front door or complement it with a contrasting color.
Your home’s shutters should coordinate with your front door. While it’s a “safe” approach to match your shutter color with your front door, you can also simply go one shade lighter or one shade darker (without the risk of clashing!) to add some uniqueness and style to your home’s appearance.
- Popular matching colors for your shutters and entry door
- Black — This timeless, traditional color brings class, and complements brick, stucco, and stone home exteriors. As the most popular matching door and shutter color, you really can’t go wrong with this versatile neutral.
- Navy — Add depth and personality to your red brick home with this desirable door color.
- White — This timeless, clean, airy color makes windows appear larger and looks stunning adjacent to stone, or natural wood siding. No wonder it’s so popular!
- Red — Add character to your home with this joyful color on your front door and shutters. It welcomes friends and family with cheer and creates appealing visual interest when it’s adjacent to stone.
- Brown — Complement your home’s siding color with a dark or light brown to add stately influence to your exterior. Earthy brown looks fabulous on your brick or stucco covered home.
- Green — This traditional color choice brings an inviting feel to your home. Lighter shades are more popular with their earthy tones. Your rustic style stone home or wood siding covered home will love you for this choice.
- Gray — Want to create a modern feel for your home exterior? Look no further than classic, modern gray for your shutters and entry door. There are so many options when it comes to gray: dark, light, muted, or white tint. Try a few different selections to find what fits your taste and brings out the best in your home’s beauty!
Make your entry door stand out by choosing a lively complementary color. Balance your home’s curb appeal and create a focal point that pulls the eye to your front door. Be careful not to select a shutter color that clashes with your front door.
Here’s where the color wheel can help. Choosing complementary colors is easy — simply find which colors are opposite on the color wheel. This will create a stunning look you’ll be proud of coming home to.
- Perfect complementing colors for your shutters and front door.
- Black door — Choose gray shutters for visual interest. This safe color combo never goes out of style, and provides the perfect backdrop to add a punch of color with some hanging plants on your porch or vibrant flowers on your front walkway.
- Black door — Add blue shutters for your Colonial style home. This is a smart, elegant combo you’ll love for years to come.
- White door — Branch out with light purple shutters to make a statement. Lavender shutters paired with a white door radiate a refreshing, elegant, monochromatic look you’re sure to love.
- Red door — Get a traditional feel with blue shutters that deliver timeless class you’ll enjoy coming home to.
- Yellow door — Choose black shutters to complement the focal point (your cheerful yellow entry door!). Yellow has a way of brightening your day, and creates a welcoming entrance to your home.
2. Which colors make my home look its best?
You should love the color of your home! Start your color choice with deciding what is aesthetically pleasing to you. Try several hues on your front door and shutters before settling on your final choice. Different colors have a different feel to them when combined. Consider the following:
- Want a tranquil, earthy look? Choose soft black and natural wood.
- Love a vibrant, bold statement? Pair a fun, bright green door with charcoal shutters and trim.
- Looking for a cheery, bright feel? Try a yellow door with warm white shutters.
3. What about my storm door?
If you have a storm door, there really isn’t a rule that says it has to match your front door or trim. You storm door can be its own color and add to your home’s beauty. Consider a hue slightly darker or lighter than your entry door. Another option is you can blend it with your siding color, or match it with your entry door or trim color.
Get Top Doors — Because You’re Worth It!
You deserve the finest doors on the market
We are certified contractors for ProVia® Doors, which means we only install top quality products for your home. ProVia Doors come in durable fiberglass or sturdy steel.
Superior ProVia Door Installation in Cary and Greater Raleigh
Boost your home’s curb appeal, security, and energy efficiency with a gorgeous replacement entry door, storm door, or patio door. At Kelly Window and Door, we stand by the products we offer. If there are any issues, we fix them with no questions asked!
Discover how our ProVia Replacement Doors service can benefit your home.